Job Description: DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES
(Status: Full-time, Exempt Employee)
General Purpose: To direct and lead student ministry programming for Middle School and High School age students. The Director of Student Ministries shall seek to foster Christian community through building relationships with young people that strengthen their commitment as followers of Jesus Christ.
Accountability: To the Lead Pastor who is accountable to the CCVA.
1. Attend scheduled weekly staff meetings. Meet regularly with the direct supervisor.
2. Strive in word and action to be an example in Christian living, mindful of being a representative of MLC (on and off the job). Have a passion for ministry, a thriving prayer life and personally involved in a small group.
3. Enhance job knowledge and abilities by taking personal responsibility for Christian and professional development and training of oneself.
4. Provide leadership for and function as the primary staff person relating to Student Ministries.
5. Oversee the recruitment and training of adult volunteers to work with Middle and High School age groups.
6. Plan and implement age appropriate activities for Middle and High School age students that promote community through fellowship, fun and faith development. Such activities throughout the year including the summer might include but are not limited to: confirmation, worship services, small group Bible studies, retreats, service projects, mission trips, and regularly scheduled fun.
7. Work with the Student Ministry Team in preparation of an annual budget. Manage the disbursement of
funds for Student Ministry within the guidelines of the approved budget.
8. Provide instruction to confirmation age students in the basic elements of Lutheran doctrine and practice.
9. Work with other Church Student Ministry Directors to develop possible opportunities for larger events within the Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC).
10. Provide for the keeping of administrative records necessary for tracking students’ progress in meeting confirmation requirements.
11. Encourage students to participate in all facets of the life of the community of faith, including worship, choirs, educational opportunities, student activities, Bible Camp and service projects, etc.
12. Seek opportunities to connect with Middle School and High School students out in the community through attendance at various school sponsored events (concerts, athletics, drama, etc.).
Requirements for this position:
1. The position of Director of Student Ministries requires great flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends. The position is a full time, salaried position and while the salary is based upon a projected 40 hours per week, the actual number of hours required during any given week are those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Furthermore, it is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year. It is therefore understood that the Director of Student Ministries shall maintain some regularly scheduled office hours in order to be accessible to youth, parents, staff and the leadership of the congregation.
2. Since the Student Ministries Director plays a major role in the faith development of the younger members of the church, both as a leader, and as an example. Morningside Lutheran Church seeks a professional leader with strong Christian character and witness who has a solid understanding of the foundations of the Christian faith, Lutheran tradition and who has a deep desire to nurture young people in the Christian faith. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs and a person who values a team concept of ministry. Therefore this position requires a degree in Youth and Family Ministry or other related degree, and/or significant experience in Student Ministry.
There is a need for an additional help serving as a wedding coordinator, which is a paid position. Main duties of the wedding coordinator are to meet with the bride/groom to go over wedding details, give instructions & assist the pastor during rehearsals, and supervise on the day of the wedding. If you would be interested in helping coordinate weddings at Morningside Lutheran Church or have questions, please contact the church office.